Friday, December 12, 2008

trish stratus: toronto diva stratus says goodbye to wwe

Trish Stratus Pictures, Images and Photos
Toronto Diva Stratus Says Goodbye to WWE
TORONTO (CP) - With her World Wrestling Entertainment career in its final hours, Toronto native Trish Stratus rifled off a laundry list of things to do when she packs it in.
"I want to alphabetize my DVD collection," Stratus joked in a recent telephone interview. "My closet's a mess. And I think I want to take up gardening."
Stratus doesn't mind tackling such menial tasks after spending the past six and a half years as one of the WWE's most recognizable, not to mention attractive, faces. Her run with the company ends Sunday night at Unforgiven (available on pay-per-view), where she will face arch-nemesis Lita for the WWE Women's Championship.
At 30, Stratus remains in her physical prime. But years on the road have taken their toll on the blond beauty, the first woman in WWE history to hold the women's title on six different occasions.
"Looking back, I've been on the road for 10 years," said Stratus, who first considered leaving the business while recovering from a shoulder injury suffered in April. "In that time, I've missed girlfriends' weddings, births, everything. Even little things like having a barbecue with my nephews was so great."
Stratus' contract expires this month, and the timing couldn't be better: she's due to be wed Sept. 30, and retiring after Sunday's event allows her to say goodbye in front of her hometown fans.
"The fans have been remarkably supportive," said Stratus, whose real name is Patricia Anne Stratigias. "At the end of the day, they've really accepted my leaving. They've told me, 'whatever makes you happy.'
"I actually read one comment where a fan said she had followed me throughout my entire career. She asked, 'what do I do now?' It's pretty crazy to think of that."
Stratus' path to the WWE was even crazier. It began in 1997, when she was attending York University in Toronto , studying biology and kinesiology with hopes of becoming a doctor. A faculty strike that winter sent Stratus looking for work, and she found it at a local gym.
At the time, Stratus was also the co-host of the radio program Live Audio Wrestling, which caught the attention of the World Wrestling Federation, the WWE's previous name.
She began training with Ron Hutchinson, who was also responsible for the ascension of fellow Canadian wrestlers Adam "Edge" Copeland, the current WWE heavyweight champion, and Jay "Christian" Reso.
Two and a half years later, Stratus made her WWF debut as a manager. Soon after, she began in-ring action.
Stratus also serves as a fitness model, gracing the covers of major health and fitness magazines like Flare and Total Women's Fitness. But it's her time with the WWE that has galvanized her place as one of Canada 's most recognized personalities.
"There have been so many neat opportunities thanks to exposure with the WWE," said Stratus, who has repeatedly rebuffed overtures to pose for Playboy. "If I can conquer something, that's what is so appealing to me."
Stratus wasn't sure what to expect Sunday night, but she grasps the significance of finishing her career in Toronto, and has happily embraced her role as a Canadian wrestling icon.
"It's so special," said Stratus, who was given a standing ovation in her final appearance at New York's Madison Square Garden on Sept. 11. "Most people just have a hometown. I have a hometown that's the size of a country. Canadians are so proud and so supportive.
"When I was in MSG, the response was unbelievable. It made me so emotional. This is going to be even more so. I'm their girl. They're gonna show their love."
As with most WWE "retirements," Stratus wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to the ring. "I wouldn't not consider it," said Stratus.
"WWE and the wrestling and the fans and performing, it's part of my blood. So never say never. We'll see."

No comments: