Saturday, December 6, 2008

trish stratus: 45 minute cardio workout

Trish Pictures, Images and Photos
Block 1 - 5 minutes
Cardio
Perform all exercises in each block at a comfortable speed, either with the treadmill flat or, for a more intense workout, on an incline. The first block includes running or sprinting for the initial warm-up. (Use any level that gets your heart pumping.) Trish usually runs for the entire block at a speed of 6.5 mph.
Block 2 - 5 minutes
Upper body
For the second block, focus on your upper body. For the first minute, punch across your body to the right side with your left hand. Keep your right arm raised in typical boxer form. Perform the move for a count of 30 (or one second per punch). Then repeat with the right hand to the left side of your body. This movement simulates a side crunch.
Next, take a 30-second rest, then move on to upper cuts. "I punch with my right hand while holding my left hand in front of my body as if I had my arm curled around someone's head and I was punching them," says Trish. "Hey, what can I say? I fight for a living!" Do this for a count of 30 on each side. This movement simulates a crunch.
After another 30-second rest, move on to the next set, which Trish likes to call "throwing the bag over my shoulder." Imagine just that: throwing a heavy sac from over your right shoulder to land on the left side of your body. Do this for a count of 30 on each side. This movement simulates an oblique crunch.
Finish by punching each hand across your body, hitting 30 punches alternately to each side while twisting toward the opposite side. This move is similar to the first punching move, but with more of a twist, simulating a broomstick twist for the abs.
This five-minute block is equivalent to 240 abdominal movements. "I isometrically train my upper body and this is where I hit my abdominals," says Trish. "I derived this program from seeing a boxer's ripped physique [and his training methods]. I incorporate intense movements and utilize what muscle tone I already have."
Block 3 - 5 minutes
Lower body
During the third block, concentrate on your lower body by including calf raises, leg stretches and lunges. First, perform 20 reps of calf raises with toes facing forward. Then do 20 reps with toes facing in, and 20 reps with toes facing outward.
Next, do a good calf stretch by doing a move Trish likes to compare to "pushing a baby carriage up a hill." Keep your back foot flat on the treadmill for a full stretch, and your hands placed on either side of the keypad. "I do this for a count of 20 for each leg," says Trish. Perform lunges at a pace that allows you to comfortably switch legs and keep your knees at 90 degrees in line with a centered body. Trish does this at 1.5 mph. This motion takes some getting used to and requires some concentration for balance. Do 20 reps each leg. Lastly, do 20 walking lunges on each leg.

No comments: